Bob and I had a good day as part of a community wide effort to assist our homeless population. "Homeless Connect" events have been held nation wide in many cities and counties and this was the first one held in Bellingham/Whatcom County. The idea is to connect homeless folks with various services including dental, vision, medical care and even hair cuts and veterinary care. About 300 volunteers served around 500 clients. The people who decided to make this happen worked extremely hard and organized an amazing event. I was in charge of handing out free bus passes for follow up appointments and Bob was a guide who helped clients get from provider to provider. I was able to visit with several volunteers and their stories were so interesting. Although there has been some decrease in the national homeless numbers in the past few years, the fear now is that the economy will erase those gains. We who have a decent roof over our heads are blessed indeed! It was wonderful to be associated with such caring people who are willing to work so hard for those in need of such vital services.
No comments:
Post a Comment