Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Momentous

During the 50 and 60's when we were growing up in northern NJ...

A Black family tried to make a go of it in the apartment complex where I lived, but moved out after intense pressure...

Bob lived in a lake community that had a policy of needing to be "accepted" into the place,which was code for "no Blacks need apply"...

Martin Luther King, Jr. was considered a "dangerous man"

African Americans in the south had separate EVERYTHING...

many people I personally knew felt that "Negroes" were somehow not the same as us whites...

But also...

The voting rights act was passed...

The civil rights act was passed...

Martin Luther King, Jr became recognized for the amazing leader he was and eventually we would have a federal holiday to celebrate his life...

And now...

I am cognizant that racism still exists, but we've come a long way as a nation...

I have lived to see something I did not think would happen in my lifetime...Barack Obama,a Black man, has been elected president of the United States of America. What a momentous day indeed!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment