Saturday, January 2, 2010

Let's hear it for the boy!

Last week at this time, Bob and I were getting back from Steve and Angie's, getting ready to watch The Soloist, our Netflix selection. I knew the baby could come any day, but figured that Steve probably would not get his tax deduction and the little guy would arrive after the first of the year. Then, we received a phone call early Sunday that my Mom had been hospitalized and my previous blog explains how that all went.

On Wednesday night, I was talking to Pete in his living room and received a call from Steve that Angie had been leaking amniotic fluid all day. He was heading over to the hospital and would keep us posted. I was not sleeping well with worry about my Mom, so I said that I would connect with him in the morning. Early Thursday, Pete received an email that Angie was going to start pushing, so needless to say...I was so EXCITED! I knew I'd miss the birth, but I had woken up with a sore throat and knew it wasn't wise to be around, spreading my cold germs.

And, so the wait began...and we waited to hear the news...and waited...and waited...and then I got nervous. I was visiting my Mom before Pete was going to pick me up for the trip to the airport. I kept bugging Bob, but he had no news. Then, just before I said good bye to my Mom, we got the news that Angie was going to have a c-section. Of course I was thinking the worse and hoping there was no distress. Finally, waiting for my plane at the Des Moines airport, I got the news that Evan Benjamin Matthes had arrived, 8#4oz (just 2 ounces less than his Dad) and that everyone was happy and healthy! What a relief and what a way to bring in the New Year!!!!

Steve and Bob picked me up at the Seattle airport and we headed to the hospital so I could get a quick peek at the little guy. I wore a mask and fell in love with this sweet boy the minute I saw him. It's so amazing how that happens not only with your babies, but with your babies' babies as well! I am feeling so much better today as my cold was a mild one, so we are headed to see Evan tomorrow. I'm jealous that Bob got lots of Grandpa time with him on Thursday. We are so incredibly blessed to have three grandchildren in our lives...thanks to Pete, Anne, Steve, and Angie for giving us this joy!



No comments:

Post a Comment