Soon after we started our walk, Bob glanced upward and saw two eagles sitting side by side on a tree branch. The tree had seen better days, but it did not take away from the majesty of these birds. I love raptor birds. I'm not sure why, but I just think they are fascinating beings. At Lake McBride in Iowa they have a raptor recovery center and it was always a treat to visit the birds they were rehabilitating to return to the wild. I'm so happy that eagles have made such a comeback from the days when we were worried about them becoming extinct.
We saw two other interesting bird species today, but have no clue as to what type they were. Bob got some great photos of our finds. There were a few other folks taking pictures and walking along the trail, but it still felt like we had this beautiful spot to ourselves.
At the end of the trail I looked over at the Peace Arch, which divides the American/Canadian border and began to think how busy that area will be during the Olympics. This has been the closest we've ever been to an Olympic city, but we will stay clear of all the festivities. The only way we will have an Olympic connection is for emergency preparedness with the Red Cross. They want us to be prepared to house 3000 people, if there is some type of disaster relating to the games...yikes!!! Let's hope it doesn't come to that!!!!
I'm so glad we decided to get out today. It's so peaceful to look at the incredibly beautiful views that surround us. And, to see the eagles...well, that was an extra bonus indeed!







No comments:
Post a Comment