Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Bear Question

Today was a perfect spring day, sunny and in the mid-60's, which meant it was a perfect day for a hike (are you tired of hiking stories yet?). Bob and I will celebrate our 34th wedding anniversary this June and through the years we've been known to banter (or, bicker, depending how you "hear" it). Whenever we get together with Pete and Steve, we notice their eyes roll when we have our little conversations, reminding them that their parents are really getting old.

Today when we arrived at the trail head, I was questioning (okay, it was nagging) Bob about why he was taking so long getting our new hiking GPS working. He was nicely (impatiently) trying to explain that "I'm still learning how to use the thing"! Finally, after getting on our way, I asked a question that had been worrying me a little as I've pondered about spring hikes..."Do you think there are any bears out here?"

Overall, I've been worrying about the bear question since I decided to join the Fischer backpacking expedition this year. We will be in the Wind River Range of Wyoming and it is not comforting to know they definitely have Grizzly bears in that region. We've prepared ourselves with bear spray and a bear bell, but watching a Discovery bear program a few weeks back put a little terror in my heart. Still, I try to calm myself with the knowledge that bear attacks are so rare...unless, of course, they happen to you (remember, I'm a worrier!).

Thankfully, there are no grizzlies around here, but still, it is spring time and isn't that the season when any type of bear comes out of hibernation? And, isn't the worst case scenario coming between a mama bear and her cub? So, it was a pretty loaded question that I was asking Bob today. Those of you who know him, know he loves to kid me. And, since I had just been nagging him, I wasn't sure if his answer to the bear question , "Well, I think there are probably bears around here" was his idea of a joke! Nice...real nice. I asked a few times and I'm still not sure if he was trying to get me or not...he loves that I'm so gullible (which is so, so true).

The good news is that we did not see any mama or baby bears. It turned out to be a beautiful hike, on a beautiful day. My fingers are crossed and my prayers are in place for this summer in WY. One thing is for absolutely sure...my bear bell will always be ringing and our bear spray always handy.


1 comment:

  1. ACTUALLY .... I'd be a little more concerned about cougars. They seem to be the wild animal du jour around here. I'd rather meet up with a black bear over a cougar anyday of the week. At least you can hear a bear coming. Cougars, not so much.
    But HEY!! Enjoy your hike!!

    ReplyDelete