Thursday, February 19, 2009

Birthday Surprise (Well, almost)

I just returned from a trip to Iowa. Anne and I conspired after the first of the year to surprise Pete with a visit from me for his birthday ( see previous blog...it was a birthday present to myself as well). Poor Anne had the most difficult task as she had to keep the secret for so long and live with the prospective person that the secret was for! She finally broke down and confided in Hannah a week before my trip. And, what a little sweetie Hannah was, as she kept that secret for an entire week.

But...right at the very end of our saga, a winter storm materialized and threw a monkey wrench into our little secret. I arrived at O'Hare and everything was on time for my flight to Des Moines. I called Anne with an update and she said it was snowing, but she thought things would be manageable. Within five minutes of that call, however, the gate people announced that the Des Moines airport was closed. Then, began my harrowing journey to reach the land of Iowa! Suffice it to say the cell phone calls were fast and furious. I was able to get a flight to Cedar Rapids and my dear friend, Jan's home became my overnight refuge. There were lots of vehicles off the road as a crept along Hwy 380 on my hour and 1/2 journey from CR to IC. I gripped the steering wheel tight and was blessed to arrive at Jan's safe and sound. Of course, the silver lining of that was I got to see Jan, Mike, and Lenda!

Poor little Hannah was expecting me Friday night and now she had to keep the secret one more day! She was such a trooper, but on Saturday am she finally informed Pete that his birthday surprise was "flying in on a plane"! When I had spoken to her on one of my calls from O'Hare, she asked me in the cutest voice, "Are you on the airplane now?" Anyone who has grandchildren knows how these little voices just warm your heart.

All in all things worked out beautifully. I drove my rental ( thanks to Bob's long distance setting that up for me) to Des Moines in beautiful weather on Saturday morning and was amazed to see so many vehicles off Route 80. I guess there were at least 300 accidents in the Des Moines area alone the previous eve. But, luckily I arrived safe and sound to see everyone. The rest of the weekend went well and there were no further weather problems.

I am so proud of Hannah as she had the fortitude to keep her excitement at bay to surprise her Dad. It was a pretty tall order for an almost 5 year old and she came through to the end. It was another fun Mom/Son birthday for me. And, as each year passes, these special moments hold more importance than ever. Happy 31st birthday, Pete, and here's to many, many more wonderful years ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment