Sunday, November 22, 2009

Something to Ponder

Yesterday Bob and I visited the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field in Seattle. We were very impressed and will keep it on our list of things to do on a rainy day. The history of flight is an amazing story indeed. They had very interesting WWI and WWII exhibits. My Grandpa was a soldier in WWI and my Dad was a marine who saw action at Iwo Jima during WWII. It is always sobering for me when I think about the fact that they both survived these wars and because of their luck, I came to be.

At one point yesterday, Bob and I sat down to watch a WWII documentary. Among the information presented was the fact that 54 million people died during that war. It is so difficult for me to wrap my mind around that figure. I remember how devastated we were as a country to lose over 3000 people on 9/11. It is simply incomprehensible to me that just shortly before I was born, the world lost 54 million souls. And, by some twist of fate, I have missed the horror of war, even though it continues to be ever present in our world. 54 million people. They said after the Holocaust, "never again". But, since then, wars have continued and people continue to suffer the ravages of war. It's so sad and something we must all ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment