Yesterday I hosted my book club and it was fun having these nice, smart women to the house. I've enjoyed being a part of this group since last December. It is one of the interest groups of the Newcomer's club and I've liked these women from the moment I've met them. I love to read, but other than when I took some fun ed literature classes in Iowa City, this is my first book club. We always get around to talking about the book, but there is lots of other conversations as well. Yesterday, we all shared "older parent" stories. As we discussed the challenges of our parents in their older years, it was comforting to know that we are all in this together.
This month we read The Speed of Darkness by Elizabeth Moon. The first interesting fact about this novel was finding it in the science fiction section at Village Books. Most of us in the group agreed that we are not avid sci fi readers, but we enjoyed this one. It even won the Nebula award (another new tidbit of information...it is the annual sci fi book award) in 2003. Although it didn't have a huge sci fi feel to it, there were some future medical advances that felt futuristic. Basically the story is about an autistic man who gets the chance to have a medical procedure to erase his autism. It was an intriguing question that the author sets up...if you could, would you change who you basically are?
As I was walking last night, I thought more about this. Recently I read an article that stated empty nester retirees were pretty happy people (unless, they invested with a Madoff like character, I guess) and I count myself to be among them. I thought about what I would change about myself...I would love to communicate in another language and it would be great to play a musical instrument. But, those skills wouldn't change who I am fundamentally. I guess if I could choose, it would be to have more confidence in myself and be less of a worrier. All in all, though, I'd be happy staying in my own skin. Another topic explored in the book was the concept of "being normal". She explored over and over what "so called normal" was...and we as a group decided that question was equally intriguing. So, did the main character get involved in the medical experiment? I won't be a spoiler here, but heartily recommend you read the book to find out.
Happy Valentine's Day Party!
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment