I think I've written about this before, but it needs repeating; I can't OVER estimate how wonderful it is to live with a person who can figure out how to fix just about anything. Bob's Dad used to call him "Mr Fixit" and Pop used to tell me how "Robert used to drive me crazy with all the projects he wanted to do". Bob is very humble and credits his Dad with being the person who taught him all he knows, but I think his Dad always credited it to his being "born that way". Wherever he got it from, I've been the beneficiary for the past 35+ years and it has made my life so much easier!!!!
Case in point: this morning as Bob was rushing out to exercise, he came in to report that some cable had broken on the garage door, so the garage door opener was not going to work. He already planned to head to one of his fav B'Ham stores, Hardware Sales. It's where all the handy, fix-it like folks like to hang out, perusing the isles that literally put me to sleep. I was out at book club all afternoon and of course, came back to a functioning door. This incident got me to thinking about how difficult it would have been if Bob wasn't here. Who would I have called, how much would it cost, and how long would it have taken said person to arrive???? One could multiply this occurrence x 100 and not make a dent into the knowledge Bob has about how things work in the mechanical & technical world. And, don't get me started on how to navigate and hook up a computer...it makes me shudder to think of managing that sphere. Along with this talent, Bob is also a perfectionist. So, on top of these things getting done, they are always done beautifully. And, to top it off, he does not extend that need for perfection to me. What else could I ask for?
Well, I've got it, for as I write this blog, Bob is completing his weekly vacuuming and even did his own white wash this morning. Sometimes I get a little ornery when I go over the list of things I do to keep the house running and the reminders I need to give Bob to help. Today reinforced how truly lucky I am to have my own private handy man that always knows the answer when something breaks and needs fixin!
Happy Valentine's Day Party!
11 years ago
AND... Steve and I are lucky too! :)
ReplyDelete