Saturday, November 6, 2010

I Got Lucky On This One

We have had a great fall season thus far, with beautiful, warm, sunny days and amazing, clear views of Mt. Baker. My work, traveling, and volunteer commitments have kept us from hiking as much as I had expected this season, so with a good forecast this past Wednesday, we headed into the Mt. Baker National Wilderness area. Our various hiking guides indicated that the season for trails in this area ends in October, but with great weather, we figured we'd take our chances. We even decided to head on up to the end of the Mt. Baker highway and try some paths off of Artist's Point. (You can imagine how picturesque that spot is, with mountain peaks all around)! We were only able to get within a mile of our destination, since we were above the snowline and they have officially closed that area for the winter/spring season. In fact, it won't open again until sometime in July, as the snow REALLY accumulates near Mt. Baker. (Interesting fact- Mt. Baker has the distinction of the most recorded snowfall in one season)!

We were hungry by this time, so we enjoyed the view and had lunch on the truck's tailgate. Bob made friends with some birds, who would not leave us alone after he gave them some bread scraps. We saw a few people enjoying this spectacular day, but for the most part, we had the beauty to ourselves. On our way down we decided to hike a trail that most books list as quite difficult. Still, time was slipping away, and I was ITCHING for a good hike and nice views. About an hour into our hike, Bob decided it was time to head back. We were both still dealing with the end of bad colds and I agreed it wasn't worth pushing it too much. So much for the views, but I just love the entire experience of being in the forest...the smell of the pines, the sound of the rushing waters, and the sight of the sun glinting through the trees.

On our way out we even spotted what may have been a bear den. It was a huge hole that Bob thought was too small for a bear, but I wasn't taking any chances. So I did my "Chatty Kathi" thing while we made our way out to civilization, hoping that my talking would keep those creatures far, far away. The good thing is that we did not see any bears, but I guess I was a bit distracted and did not see a rock on the path. Suddenly, I stumbled and was down on my knees in P A I N! Poor Bob rushed to me and later told me his first thought was "How am I gonna get her out of here"? After getting over the shock, I luckily found I was able to move and readily get to my feet. We had only about 20 minutes more to go and thank goodness I could make it on my own.

I've got a fair amount of bruising on my right knee and a little on my left. But, the pain has been minimal (thank you ice and ibuprofen). It was a little difficult on my knee in yoga today, but I'm so grateful, considering how it could have been. The big question is if I could not have walked should Bob have left me there and gone for help or tried to carry me out. I would have voted to having him leave me there (with the bear spray, of course). What good would it have done for him to have gotten hurt as well? The scary thing is that we have no cell phone service on the trails and we only saw one other couple. It is a little sobering to think how quickly one can hurt oneself. Anyway, I'm glad all is well and I know I got lucky on this one. Next time I'm sure I'll be a little more vigilant for rocks on the ground!





1 comment:

  1. The photos are spectacular! Love the photos of you two, lunch and hiking!

    ReplyDelete