This morning when I tried to dry my hair, the blow dryer wouldn't work. I fiddled with it for a while and kept pushing buttons, but soon knew it was time to yell, "Bob, the hair dryer isn't working"! Of course being the handy engineer that he is, he seemingly pushed the same buttons, but got a different result from me...it worked!
Bob and I have a very traditional marriage and in retirement, I've really come to realize how much of the "home stuff" I actually do. It kind of evolved that way because #1, we are "traditional", and #2, he worked full time all his professional life and I was a part timer. It only seemed fair to me, through the years, to accomplish all the tasks that I usually do. I always drew the line, however, when it came to yard work, hanging things on the wall, computers, and anything that was, in the least way, mechanical. Bob is a "handy" person "par excellance" and I'm...well, I have no talent in that area.
We've settled into this routine and it's great to have that comfort of knowing we respect each other's strengths. Bob certainly knows who to turn to for medical advice, for example, and I certainly know who to call when something needs to be analyzed and fixed. I'm not sure if it all evens out, but I can't tell you how grateful I am to call "Bob................" when something doesn't work. As the Master Card people say, "it's priceless"!
Happy Valentine's Day Party!
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment