Friday, September 18, 2009

Back to normal?

Or...whatever normal is now. Lately, I've been thinking a lot about what we were doing this time last year(which is what I usually do on the one year anniversary of our moves). The thing I keep going back to is how this year has gone by so incredibly FAST. Working man, Steve, often asks Bob and I, "What do you do all day?" and we answer that we keep busy with travel, volunteering, exercising, and regular life stuff. But, I often wonder, "Where did we find the time to work before retirement?". I've heard this same sentiment from other retirees and now I understand what they are getting at.

When our friend Mike was visiting recently, he mentioned that it was a little disconcerting how time flies and more so, as we get older. We decided it was because with each day we get closer to...well, you know what I mean. I guess the good thing is that life is never boring and there does seem to be this push to get things done...while you can, while you are able, while you are healthy.

I think this all ties into my thoughts of "What is normal, now?". We traveled lots this summer and being away from home that much didn't feel like normal. I worked a fair amount in September, but only have one day scheduled in November and December...that definitely doesn't feel like normal...Bob is patiently waiting to hear back about a possible work opportunity...not normal, because it wasn't expected. I wonder if the new normal is living life one day at at time, relishing all the good of that day. I find that idea so comforting, recognizing how lucky I am to feel that way.

So, on this normal-like Friday, we traveled down to Steve's and Bob is helping him with projects around the house. Me? I am going to figure out how to drive Steve's car and do a little shopping at the local mall and have lunch at Panera's (a favorite lunch spot of mine that isn't in Bellingham). A cup of Panera's hazelnut coffee...definitely feels "normal" today!

No comments:

Post a Comment