Sunday, August 9, 2009

What's in a name?

Although everyone knows me as "Kathi" (spelling with the "i" per my parents, not me trying to be different), my legal name is "Kathleen". Growing up, I was "Kathleen" when my Mom was angry (actually, it was "Kathleen Anne") and when the nuns addressed me in class. At St. Matthew's Elementary school you would be called by your full Christian name and then always stand to answer. When I transferred to public school, I quickly learned that there were different rules. After a few half-stand ups and some weird stares from my new school mates, I learned that staying seated was the way to go. I think all of this formality made me adverse to hearing myself called Kathleen and so I've remained Kathi all my life...until recently.

A few years ago I began to think that Kathleen was a pretty name, indeed. And, with each move, I would harbor thoughts of introducing myself that way. But, before I knew it, I would say "Hi, I'm Kathi" and that would be that. When I applied for my current job, I learned there was another "Kathy" in the office and to top it off, her last name started with an "M". I saw my chance to be Kathleen and offered that option in my interview. My co-workers are very nice people and they felt it would be no problem accommodating me as Kathi. We tried various options, one being Kathy 1 and Kathi 2, but soon realized that a two Kathy/Kathi office was going to be too confusing.

I have a little experience with this two name deal as "Bob" has always been "Robert" to his family. His Dad was Bob and he is a junior. Early on, I guess they decided against Bobby, or Rob, or (as in the case of my family...little Pete for my brother) little Bob. When I became a part of Bob's family, I slipped into their culture and always called him Robert around his clan...because to them, he is ROBERT! Sometimes it amazes me that I can so easily go from Bob to Robert...I may be addressing him as Bob as we are talking, but the minute one of his brothers enters the room, I'm back to Robert. Aren't we humans flexible?

Anyway, the staff at my new job has done a great job with the name transition. They met me as Kathi, but within that first week, changed to Kathleen and there have been very few lapses. I must admit it does feel a little strange when I hear myself being called Kathleen, but I also love the sound of it. Deep down inside, I'll always be Kathi, but it's been fun trying something new on for size as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment