We were talking with some folks after church this past Sunday and they were giving us all kinds of tidbits on trails we could hike close to Bellingham. We wanted something fairly rigorous so our training will be meaningful. Bob sure doesn't want to get me out in the woods and have to carry me out! We thought we'd have to wait until June to hike in the Mt. Baker area, as there is mega snow on the trails up there. But, we were happy to learn that there are good trails locally and with good weather today, we were off.
When we first arrived at the Pine and Cedar Trail, we saw more snow than we expected and I was a little doubtful. But, after a little slipping and sliding, we got our footing and forged ahead. With an elevation gain of 1200 feet, I was breathing hard and my heart was pounding. Still, I was able to keep up and felt pretty good the whole way. We ended up at beautiful Cedar Lake and had lunch with some nice students from Western Washington U. They were kind enough to take our picture, so Bob can finally be seen. We were again worried about it being slippery on our trip back, but it was much better than anticipated.
I still have a long way to go. Today I carried about 10 pounds and that will have to increase to 40 pounds for the trip. Also, we will be at much higher elevations and that will be taxing to the lungs. Still, it felt good to begin training and the young man we met on the trail gave us a good tip on another rigorous hike nearby. He said it has the most beautiful view of Bellingham Bay and has an elevation gain of 1900 feet. Oyster Dome here we come!



No comments:
Post a Comment